Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Day #40: Recycled Riding Hood Finger Puppet (and Rat Update!)

It's tough blogging about puppets and fun stuff when the world is falling apart and people are in real danger. I have been racking my brain trying to think of something to do that's related to what is going on, but my brain just locks up and I am unable to move beyond the horror of reality.

I guess I'll just stick with the basics.

I had a productive day at the studio working on my rat/possum experimental puppet. It's coming along quite nicely.

Eyes, eyelids in place -- working on the mouth.
For my puppet posting du jour, I was inspired by a glue stick.


I use these in workshops, but I always feel horrible about the plastic waste involved. I picked one up today and noticed how very, very perfectly the external tube fits nicely over your finger... I looked around the studio a bit more and located a ping-pong ball.

I'm sure you see where this is going!

I have lots of scrap fabric that needs a purpose, so I gathered up some of that, too. Voila! Little Red Riding Hood.

Perfect Fit!


If you stick the finger puppet back on the glue part, it even stands up. I was able to use leftover materials for this (most puppeteers have ping-pong balls, scrap fabric, glue sticks, and other weird stuff on hand at all times!).

2 comments:

  1. Basics are good. Reusing that glue stick made me smile, as did seeing the update on rat / possum. That smile is no small thing, given the state of the world.

    It's been a tough week for me, but when I saw a photo of a Japanese mother having her 5 month old baby girl scanned for radiation exposure this morning, I realized that all of the problems I have ever had, truly do not compare. Even the worst I've experienced, the loss of a parent when still only a child really hasn't prepared me to fully understand what that mother must be feeling.

    *sigh*

    Still, somehow, some way ~ love is the answer. Love and laughter, and doing whatever else we can do to help, however we can do it.

    A lightened heart is born in light, so please keep making me smile.

    <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a fantastic use for glue stick containers, and an adorable Red Riding Hood!

    ReplyDelete