Monday, May 23, 2011

Day #90: R&D

I've been looking through books on wildflowers and native plants for the region in which my new show (in progress), Little by Little, is set. It's tricky because there are so many choices! The Appalachian region is teeming with life and full of micro-ecosystems.

While wandering in the woods, these were everywhere. I like the shape of the leaves -- great for giving something an interesting shape to give it a uniqueness that works for the new show.

 I'm look for flora with visual appeal and textural variation -- and it has to be accurate. We were camping last weekend and just happened to be near the AT. I had my books, walked around, and found an interesting specimen: the may apple.

The leaves act like umbrellas for the single flower.


These plants carpet the floors of many a forest. They come in single leaf or double leaf. The double-leafed varieties will bear fruit. First a flower, then the "apple."

Pretty neat!

You can see the "apple" forming in the center!
I've been looking for fabrics/techniques to re-create these for one of the scenes that just happens to be perfectly times with when these interesting wildflowers are flowering....fabric stores are just as dangerous as bookstores. (OK, even more so!)

3 comments:

  1. I've never seen one of those before. Love the umbrella over the flower. Makes me want to go out in the woods and see if they are a tad east of the Appalachians.

    Your insistence on accurate detail is very refreshing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh. crap. who had 3.5 hours of sleep last night, but has been strangely energized all day???

    i did. i did.

    WEST of the Appalachians. WEST.

    *rolls eyes*

    ReplyDelete
  3. May apples!! I adore them. The idea of a fabric version is wonderful.

    ReplyDelete